- 09-Feb-2017 to 03-Mar-2017 (EST)
- Advocacy & Public Policy
- Arlington, VA, USA
- Full Time
Are you searching for a job with purpose? This is your opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to a national non-profit working to build better lives for individuals and families with mental illness.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI's beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and an unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
We currently have an opening for a Director, Field Advocacy. The Director will be working as part of NAMI's advocacy and public policy team and will be responsible for developing strategies that increase the visibility of and action on NAMI's advocacy priorities and initiatives. He or she will also be responsible for expanding NAMI's field advocacy network, enhancing field capacity for advocacy and facilitating effective collaboration with key stakeholders. This individual will report to the National Director, Advocacy & Public Policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, leads and evaluates effectiveness of complex, multi-faceted campaigns and initiatives that require collaboration across teams or across organizations and within tight timeframes and rapidly-shifting environments
- Develops and facilitates a network of grassroots advocacy leaders at the NAMI state organization and major affiliate level
- Develops strategy and provides content expertise to build skill-based advocacy capacity-building trainings and resources for grassroots advocates and grassroots advocacy leaders
- Provides leadership for state advocacy and policy programming at the national NAMI convention, state conferences and advocacy events
- Provides strategy and policy guidance to NAMI advocacy leaders on politically and time-sensitive issues
- Serves as an expert technical consultant to media and elected officials on mental health policy issues and staffs the Board Policy Committee as a content expert
- Develops strong relationships with system stakeholders and represents NAMI with national advocacy coalitions, state and federal agencies and elected officials
- Manages multiple budgets for advocacy initiatives and reports to CFO on program deliverables
- Ensures NAMI's advocacy priorities and initiatives are aligned with NAMI's goals and objectives, as well as relevant grant goals and objectives
- Assists with funding proposals and grant reports, including meeting with key funders and donors
- Leads and manages direct reports, including facilitating their professional growth and development
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Advanced degree required or bachelor's degree and equivalent experience and expertise
- 7-10 years related experience
- Minimum 4 years' supervisory experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite; ability to conduct internet research, familiarity with and ability to learn other online programs
- Proven ability to effectively manage budgets and program goals and outcomes
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to challenges, using problem-solving, fact-finding and decision-making skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to use an active advocacy voice.
- Ability to translate complex policy topics into lay language.
- Strong project management and leadership skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment and across teams
- Flexibility and ability to respond to and prioritize competing demands
- Demonstrated experience in forging collaborative and effective relationships with diverse stakeholder groups, including elected officials and government agencies
- Extensive knowledge of state legislative processes
- Expertise in community organizing
- Ability to develop effective tools for lay people to advance advocacy initiatives
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
Must pass background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V