- 27-Feb-2017 to 31-Mar-2017 (EST)
- Information & Engagement Services
- Arlington, VA, USA
- Full Time
Are you searching for a job with purpose? This is your opportunity to contribute your skills and passion to a national non-profit working to build better lives for individuals and families with mental illness.
NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Illness) is the nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of the millions of Americans affected by mental illness. Since NAMI's beginning in 1979, we have established ourselves through dedication, commitment and an unceasing belief in our mission to strengthen communities and help those in need. The heart of NAMI is our unrivaled grassroots network of volunteers in communities across the nation. Through our united support, education, advocacy and awareness efforts, NAMI is at the forefront, a recognized force in urging new ideas and solutions to improve lives.
We currently have an opening for a Manager, Meetings & Events. The Manager, Meetings & Events is responsible for the management, implementation and evaluation of events and meetings for the organization. This individual will report to the Director, Information & Engagement Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with staff and stakeholders to ensure NAMI meetings and events are well coordinated and logistically managed.
- Define and manage meeting space, room block, catering, audio/visual, exhibits and decorating needs for meetings.
- Define meeting and convention staffing needs, oversee staff schedules including scheduling and supervision of temporary staff and interns.
- Assist with the budgeting and tracking of expenses for national convention and other meetings.
- Participate in future convention and meeting site visits, contract negotiations and property recommendations for meetings.
- Maintain strong relationships with city convention and visitor bureaus, hotels, meeting venues and other properties.
- Write program content and work with other teams and designers on annual convention printed program.
- Provide support for the workshop proposal submission and selection process.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 5-7 years' experience planning and managing events with over 1,500 attendees. Experience must include contract negotiations, budgeting, marketing, on-site event troubleshooting and crisis management.
- Able to communicate quickly but thoroughly with quick turn-arounds and tight deadlines.
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to defuse stress with attendees and be solution oriented.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Meetings Management certification preferred.
- Must excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Flexible, supportive, and "can do" attitude is crucial to success. This person must have integrity and credibility with leaders, members, vendors and staff.
- Spanish language proficiency desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills: skilled at enriching relationships while setting effective boundaries.
- Bachelor's degree
This position is based in Arlington, VA in a regular office environment.
Must pass background check.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V